Tuesday, March 23, 2010

2 Pictures of God in Adoption

The waiting in adoption is killer. Part of the way I mentally battled while we waited to be matched with Maren was through reading books about adoption. One of the books I read was Adopted for Life by Russell D. Moore subtitled The Priority of Adoption for Christian Families and Churches.

Moore and his wife, Maria. adopted 2 little boys now Benjamin and Timothy (previously "Maxim" and "Sergei") from Russia. When adopting from Russia two trips are required because of Russia's legal process. On their first trip to meet their sons they found the orphanage to be a grim and dirty place. Their sons were both in cribs, in the dark, lying in their own waste.* Moore describes the last day of their 1st trip this way, "(Leaving) was the hardest thing either of us had ever done. Walking out of the room to prepare for the plane ride home, Maria and I could hear Maxim calling out for us and falling down in his crib, convulsing in tears. Maria shook with tears of her own. I turned around to walk back into their room, just for a minute. I placed my hands on both of their heads and said, knowing they couldn't understand a word of English, 'I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.' I don't think I consciously intended to cite Jesus ' words to his disciples in John 14:18; it just seemed like the only thing worth saying at the time."

Adoption is a display of what God has done for us in Jesus.

1. We are adopted by God. We are not His "biological" children in that Jesus is His only "begotten" son. Jesus is the first born. Jesus is the exact representation of God and He is God. He is the only man born in flesh who can claim this. And, because Jesus was forsaken on the cross by His Father we are now welcomed by our Heavenly Father adopted as His children. Because of our Elder Brother, Jesus, we have free access to God. Adoption is a living illustration of this covenant. I am different than Jesus and yet God the Father gives me full rites and loves me as the Father loves Jesus. AMAZING! I did not and never will earn this. Jesus gave it to me. :) "To as many as received him and believed on His name He gave the right to be called sons of God." One day Jesus will come again and receive us and take us to our forever home with our Father.

2. Jesus has not left us as alone He has given the Holy Spirit to us. Jesus says in John 14:18, "I will not leave you as orphans. I will come to you." Jesus promised us this. He has not left us as orphans. He has sent His Holy Spirit (Acts 2). We are not left to ourselves. We don't have to pull ourselves up by "our boot straps". He is here. He is with us and he is leading us! The Holy Spirit longs to comfort us and help us through life.

Today one of the His Hands families is being united with their son for the first time. I love adoption! I am rejoicing with the Bachmans and for Jake! And, I am amazed at the beauty of it! I am amazed that God has adopted me! I rejoice at being able to see families united with their children through adoption. And, look forward to the day that I experience this first hand with our little Meg.

Please pray for the Bachmans today as they begin their life with Jake. We need God's grace every day and especially in transitions.

Also, pray for Trena and Holly as they guide the Bachmans through more paper work, AIT, and travel. Pray that God will bless them and supply everything they need so they can continue in the work God has called them to.

Pray for Jake's birth family as they say good-bye.

And, pray for the nannies who have given so much to Jake. I am sure that it is very hard to love so much and watch theses precious babies move to the other side of the world.

Also, please keep praying that God will bring Maren home soon! We can't wait to be a part of Maren's life.

*Maren is in the House of Hope which is very small and clean. She is very well cared for by fantastic ladies who love her and love Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment