Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Year of the Tiger


It is after 6 a.m. in Taiwan which means that Chinese New Year has started (and Valentine's Day as well). I have no idea what Chinese New Year is really like. Although, I did do a little reading on Wikipedia yesterday. I am curious and interested to learn more about it in the years to come. It seems to be rooted in celebrating ancestors and eating great food. We hope to celebrate Maren's heritage as she grows. Going to have to learn some things though!

A friend of mine told me that the Taiwanese believe it is bad luck to start things just before Chinese New Year. It is good luck to move forward with plans and events after. So, I have been thinking maybe this is why we have not received our court date yet. Maybe the people in the government offices are hoping for good luck so they are waiting to send us our court date until after the New Year celebrations. I hope and pray that it will be soon.

I wonder what today will be like for Maren in the House of Hope? I wish that I could teleport myself, Alex, and the kids and we could give our little cherub some hugs, kisses, and cuddles. She looks so kissable. And, it would be awesome fun to learn about New Year traditions in person with the ones who know it best.

We had a little family Valentine's party last night. We made our own calzones and cut out heart sugar cookies with frosting and strawberries. We turned off the lights and used candlelight. It was so fun! The only thing missing was you, Maren!


No comments:

Post a Comment