Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Worry and Worship

My sister in law, Lidia, is a huge fan of Ruth Bell Graham. She recommended I read the book It's My Turn. I picked it up on ebay for $2. It is a great read.

This morning I read a chapter called Worry and Worship. She starts the chapter with a quote by Bishop Moule. "There is no situation so chaotic that God cannot from that situation, create something that is surpassingly good. He did it at the creation. He did it at the cross. He is doing it today."

Ruth had been worrying about one of her children. She read scripture and prayed often and still worried. One night she read Phillipians 4:6, "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing, by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God and the peace of God which passes all understanding will guard your heart and mind in Christ Jesus." She realized "the missing ingredient" in her prayers was thanksgiving. And, "worship and worry cannot live in the same heart: they are mutually exclusive."

I feel like I go in and out of worship and worry. Lord, give me an undivided heart that I might praise Your name. I want to be a worshipper not a worrier. I want to trust you and thank you. This has to be Your work in me. I cannot do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment